Sunday, June 13, 2010

I am not a good target...

I am a mom. I go in and out of my house all day long or not at all. Sometimes I leave for 10 minutes and sometimes I leave for hours. I lock my doors and windows. I don't own expensive things like flat screen T.V.s or expensive jewelry. I don't drive a super fancy car. So why would anyone target me? They would have to be watching to know when I left.

Dear robbers that came to my house on Thursday while I was at the pool with my children,

Were you just waiting for a day that I left my upstairs master bathroom window open? Sometimes that is open when I am home. Did you see me leave? Would you have come in anyway if I was still here? I am sad. Not angry. Just sad. I am sad you felt it was necessary to open every drawer and cabinet in my home. I am sad you had to make a huge mess tossing everything in my bedroom and bathroom looking for cash I imagine. I am sad my husband had to take a day and a half off of work to help me clean up the mess and fill out paperwork instead of doing something fun as a family with that time off work. I am sad you took off with my children's bikes making them sad because they have nothing to ride. I am sad you had to empty my 4 year olds piggy bank. Was the $3 in change you got worth it? I am sad you took my husband's wedding ring that represented something worth way more than what you can sell it for. I'm sad you have a shotgun that you will most likely use in a crime or sell to someone to use in a crime. I am sad because of how uneasy and sick to my stomach and close to tears I felt that last few days. Most of all I am sad that even though I can monetarily replace these bikes, change, wedding ring, shotgun, mp3 player someday what I cannot replace is the safety my children felt in their own home. You had no right to be in our private happy place. You have stolen something from my children and I am going to work my hardest to get it back.

Sincerely,
Rochelle

P.S Luckily, I have something called the priesthood in my home. I was able to get a blessing and now feel peace. I am sad you don't know what that is, because if you did you would not have done this to our family.

24 comments:

Middleton said...

Oh my goodness... I am SO SORRY! Rochelle, you and Brent are an amazing team and I am sure you will be able to help your kids conquer any fears this might have caused. Wow! I had no idea that happened... what meanie poos to take the kids stuff, and Cade's $, seriously??? It's sad that we live in a world like this but thankfully we know the Author of forgiveness and peace. Hopefully they stole a Bible too and will read it!

Carrie said...

I'm so sorry Rochelle. I've been saying it all week--Why are people so lame??? Our house was burglarized when I was a few years old and it still traumatizes my family today. It's hard to get over that feeling of being violated. You need to buy a fake alarm system sign like me. Maybe that will deter future lame people.

Laura said...

yikes! i'm glad you're okay!

The Horners said...

get an alarm system! in all seriousness, I am so sorry! I'm so glad you guys are safe. what is up with people! first ben, now you. it could have been much worse and I'm just so sad this had to happen to you guys. you guys are so strong. I'm sorry.

kristin said...

Wow Rochelle. I'm so sorry! I know there's been a rash of breakins in Anatolia but it was no one I knew. How crummy!! I'm glad to hear that you're feeling at peace and safe again cause that is such a violation! They must be truly scum to take the kids' stuff. And the piggy bank...I truly want to roll some heads. I'm just so glad that you weren't home! I don't think I could handle hearing anything bad happening to you physically. I'm so so sorry! I'm calling you to come have lunch this week!

The Holyoaks said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. Hope you can shake the heebie jeebies. Love you!

Julia said...

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry this happened in to you guys! You know when it was happening in Stone Creek, in a situation like it was daytime and right after the homeowners left, it ended up being people in the neighborhood, who were using their kids as lookouts. I know that might sound even freakier, but it would be good to let your neighbors know to keep their eyes out for anything suspicious and of kids lingering at corners abnormally.

Maybe getting a outside dog would help the whole family feel safer? I know they're messy and lots of work, but it could help you and the boys not feel so vunerable!

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

You are ONE STRONG LADY! I can't imagine such an experience & somehow the scripture that says the Lord will not give us more than we can handle just isn't that comforting right now! May He give you peace & comfort at this most trying time. We love you.

Kel said...

Oh man...when i heard a burglary had happened on your court i was (selfishly, because you're my friends!) HOPING it WASN'T your home!? I'm sooo sorry! These bad guys need to be caught. Prayers your way!!

Stephanie said...

so lame! hope they catch the creep!

Vanessa Brown said...

Rochelle! Oh my. This is scary and you are right more sad. You know I just looked into APX alarm with video cameras and it honest to goodness is not much $ at all.

Blah that sucks, I am sorry Rochelle

Amanda said...

So sorry! : (

Penny said...

Oh my word Rochelle. I am so sorry that happened! I'm just so glad that everyone is ok. I hope you are ok soon.

Gina Deceuster said...

Wow. Rochelle. I am close to tears thinking about what your children are going through. You seem to be handling it well and I am so impressed with your attitude.
The piggy bank? Seriously? What is wrong with people. I hope your family grows stronger through this experience. And I hope that nitwit gets a new hobby.

Rebecca said...

Oh no.... that's so awful. Through your UPSTAIRS master BATHROOM window? That's unbelievable. I'm so sorry. What a scary, rotten thing to happen.

The McGraths said...

That's awful! Seriously, why are people so dumb... a flippin piggy bank??? what a sad, sad, person! I'm glad you guys are ok.

Adam and Jessica said...

Hey Rochelle! I am so sorry! That happened to me a few years ago. They came in when I went to the gym. I was so uneasy for a while, but now we have an alarm system and I feel safe again. It is the worst feeling ever! That is so sad about the piggy bank with just a few dollars in it! So Sad!!!

Emily said...

Rochelle, I'm so sorry! Hope you can feel safe in your home again, soon. Hope you can feel good protecting your kids, too. LAME!

Ellie said...

I'm so sorry this happened to you guys! I'm glad you weren't home and that you're ok.

Nicole said...

Im so sorry this happened to you guys. When I heard this happened I thought about you all day. Feel better.

Erixgirl said...

I was so sad to hear about this. Mean people make me so mad!!!

Marc and Stacy said...

Rochelle, I just found your blog through Leanna's, and I got totally excited to check it out. Then, was so sad to read about this happening to you guys. It is so scary that we live in a world that where you can't even leave a window cracked anymore without the fear of violation. It's scary to think you and the kids could've been home. It's not fair to have to be worried and afraid of that stuff...but you are right, the priesthood gives you a good feeling that those people will never have, sadly. I'm so sorry and I agree with Leanna...mean people suck.
Glad to have found your blog nonetheless. You've got such handsome boys and a beautiful family!

Gpa Paul said...

So sorry. Really a terrible feeling. I hope you can all find peace. So sad for people who care so little about others. Their loss, truly.

Shantel said...

I'm so sorry! How horrible. How lame.